The Old Perfessor

I'm a professor of journalism at Wingate University near Charlotte, N.C. I've also written about sports for newspapers and other publications for more than 30 years. This blog's about journalism, sports and whatever else I find interesting on any given Sunday or other day, for that matter.

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Snapped!

A brief entry today -- just file it under "Things We Like."

This past summer Jayne and I got hooked on a cable TV show called "Snapped." It airs on the Oxygen channel and there's a marathon on this evening to warm up the audience for the new season, which starts Thursday.

The general theme of "Snapped" is stories of women -- most of whom are interviewed from prison as part of the show -- who reached the breaking point and killed somebody, usually a husband.

Jayne used to cover courts and cops during her newspaper career and, to a much lesser extent, so did I. So we've always found true crime stories fascinating. (All couples should have a common interest, right?) Personally, I've always wondered what drives people to commit murder, and what it must be like to have your life spin so out of control that you end up being the subject of one of these shows.

I occasionally joke with our sociology faculty about a course called "Deviant Behavior" that they occasionally offer. I just find that course title amusing for some reason. Maybe they should make this show required viewing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I love all true crime stuff (48 Hours Mysteries, Dateline, Forensic Files, The First 48, Cold Case, etc)

And I found Snap during the marathon and watched 22 episodes on vacation. Yep, 22 episodes!!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home