The Old Perfessor

I'm a professor of journalism at Wingate University near Charlotte, N.C. I've also written about sports for newspapers and other publications for more than 30 years. This blog's about journalism, sports and whatever else I find interesting on any given Sunday or other day, for that matter.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Seen from the sideline

In almost 35 years of writing about sports for newspapers, I've been privileged to cover the U.S. Open golf tournament, the MLB and NHL All-Star games, and everything else from the NBA and NFL to big-time boxing -- when there was such a thing.

But sometimes it's the little moments on the small stages that you appreciate most.

Saturday night I covered a Division II men's basketball game between Queens University of Charlotte and tiny Coker College from Hartsville, S.C. (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/16564588.htm). In the midst of a hard-fought but mistake-filled game between these two teams I caught this exchange between Queens coach Brian Good and Coker coach Dan Schmotzer.

At one point in the second half a Queens player -- I forget who and maybe that's for the best -- tossed up one of the ugliest shots in a game that had a lot of them. It caromed off the backboard and went to the opponents, who promptly threw it away.

Good, who was a capable point guard for Wisconsin in his playing days in the early 1990s, went to one knee with a look down the sideline which could only be interpreted: "I can't believe my guy just took that shot."

Schmotzer, a more emotional veteran coach who's one of my favorite "characters" in college basketball, reacted with some sympathy and a smile. (His team was having its own issues with putting the ball in the basket.)

"Hey, he could play for Coker," he said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home