The Old Perfessor

I'm a professor of journalism at Wingate University near Charlotte, N.C. I've also written about sports for newspapers and other publications for more than 30 years. This blog's about journalism, sports and whatever else I find interesting on any given Sunday or other day, for that matter.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

No jinx here

I knew it was going to happen.

My latest Union Observer column was about a nice young man named Dan Brooks, a wide receiver for the Wingate University football team.

It's an example of a gamble lost. The column, written on Wednesday night last week for publication on Sunday, described how Brooks, an all-conference receiver who entered the season with 16 career touchdown receptions for the Bulldogs, hadn't caught a single touchdown pass in the first four Wingate games.

So it came as no shock to me on Saturday afternoon when Brooks broke into the open and caught an 84-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Anthony Metzelaars on Wingate' s second offensive play of the game. He caught a 35-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter. He had three receptions in the game for a single game career-high 138 yards.

I'm happy to be the SI Cover Jinx in reverse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home