The Old Perfessor

I'm a professor of journalism at Wingate University near Charlotte, N.C. I've also written about sports for newspapers and other publications for more than 30 years. This blog's about journalism, sports and whatever else I find interesting on any given Sunday or other day, for that matter.

Thursday, June 04, 2009

The short, happy Triple A career of Gordon Beckham

I haven't covered as many Charlotte Knights games this season as I usually do, so it was good to get back to the ballpark on Tuesday for the game between the Knights and the Columbus Clippers.

The Knights had recently added the Chicago White Sox' No. 1 draft choice for 2008, former University of Georgia infielder Gordon Beckham, 22, to their roster and I was looking forward to seeing him in action. I figured I'd build the story around him if he did anything at all in the game.

He went 1-for-4 against the Clippers, extending his hitting streak to six games, the same number of games he had played for the Knights since being promoted from Class AA Birmingham on May 28. Click on the link for the story in the Charlotte Observer.

We didn't talk very long, as the paper only needed a fairly brief story, but I was impressed with the young man's poise, and thought he acted like someone who expected to be in the big leagues soon.

Turns out I didn't know how right I was. Beckham, a natural shortstop who had been playing third base for Charlotte, played one more game for the Knights before being called up to Chicago late Wednesday night. He made his major league debut this afternoon, just one day short of a year since he was drafted by the White Sox. (He spent the 2008 season in Kannapolis). After all the hype, his first game was uneventful. Starting at third base, he was 0-for-3 at bat in a 7-0 White Sox loss to Oakland.

The final line for Beckham in Charlotte was seven games, 28 at bats, 13 hits (.464 batting average), 6 doubles, no home runs, 3 RBI. It was nice to meet you, Gordon. I doubt I'll see you again unless it's on TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home